Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Just A Few Everyday Things



Small disclaimer as I begin this post:
I am currently eating pistachio gelato right out of the tub. I threw the lid in the recycling bin immidetely after taking said tub out of the freezer because I have every intention of finishing it all. So that's where I'm at right now. I just felt the need to forewarn you.

(Disclaimer on the Small Disclaimer: There was only about a 1/3 of the gelato remaining in the tub. I have not totally let myself go.....yet.)

Fall is a good time. I mean after we put aside the fact that my 18 month old has decided that "terrible twos" is a good idea, and that my belly isn't slowing down in the enlarging process, and that the only set of keys to one of our vehicles has been missing for 24 hours, and that there's more dishes in the sink....again. After we put aside all those things and a few nameless others, life has been great.
I mean that.
I think it can be super easy to become so engrossed in the few things gone wrong in life that I miss the hundreds of things gone right. Like my freezer kept my gelato cold! And not just cold but frozen! Lately, I've really been wanting and needing to remind myself of the good things. It's really easy to sink into frustrations because life just doesn't always go according to plan.
Wait. Scratch that....Does life ever go according to plan??

But here's the thing. Life doesn't usually go as planned. There will always be things to frustrate me. There will always ALWAYS be more dishes. However, there will also always be a faithful God who loves me and keeps on caring for me. (And that is so true for you too) That will not ever change. Even though right now seems really frustrating because KEYS WHERE ARE YOU!!!! I think it's still really valuable to stop and take a moment to just celebrate a few really good things. So that's what we're gonna do.

And then I'll get back to searching for keys.

Alrighty then. I'm done with my gelato.

1. Books

I just want to talk about books for a few minutes because I haven't touched on this yet and really that's ridiculous because books are a HUGE part of daily life in our house. I've been reading quite a few lately and I kindof hate my tendancy to start and work through about 5-7 books at a time. The thing is, I have literally always been that way and I don't see it ending soon.

"Giddy Up, Eunice: (Because Women Need Each Other)" by: Sophie Hudson
This book is great! I love Sophie's way of telling a story and her southern charm. Also, this whole thing of women needing each other is right on! I can't even begin to tell you how deeply blessed I have been by the fellow women in my life. I have been so very blessed in this area, but I know that there are many many women out there who either do not feel like they have fellow women speaking into their lives, or who feel inadequite to speak into the lives of others. This book speaks to all of that and more in a way that is just plain enjoyable to read.

"Confessions of a Shopaholic" by: Sophie Kinsella
I realize that I am slow to jump on this bandwagon. I've seen the movie several times and just wasn't convinced that reading it in book form would be worth it, but I should've just held to my mantra that "the book is always better" and just started the series sooner. That's right, it's a series. A very addicting series. Also, fluffy. I feel I should be sure to mention the word fluffy because I feel like these books are reading dessert, but nonetheless, I have been enjoying them so much.

How Eskimos Keep Their Babies Warm: And Other Adventures in Parenting (from Argentina to Tanzania and everywhere in between) by: Mei-Ling Hopgood
Seriously, this book is so fun. I love when a journalist experiences something firsthand and decides to take that thing and fly with it, usually resulting in an awesome book. Mei-Ling does that so well when it comes to this whole parenthood thing. We live on a pretty big planet and it's just fab to learn about the way other people in this world handle the same types of growing people problems we all face at some point. And really, do not for one moment think that you have to already be a parent for this to be interesting. If you like simply food and culture, then you'll probably enjoy this book.

"Nature's Day: Discover the world of wonder on your doorstep" by: Kay Maguire
So funny thing, I got this book from the library, feel in love with it just in time to return it, and then happened upon it again on Anthropologie.com......my daily reminder that once in a while I do have good and expensive taste.  Great book. Beautiful pictures. I would really like to own this one someday.

2. Food

I know I mentioned this in my last post, but I am really enjoying pumpkin spice everything. Muffins, Lattes, Poptarts.... At the beginning of October I had a small party with a few girlfriends and man did we eat!  I don't have all the recipes from the evening but let me just list off the menu for your mouth's enjoyment.
Sweet Potato Chips
Goat Cheese Stuffed Dates wrapped in Bacon
Baguette with Brie and Raspberry Jam
Pear and Gorgonzola Salad
Sausage and Rice Stuffed Pumpkins
Cinnamon Apple Crumb Cake
Apple Cider Donuts
Spiced Nuts
Lattes; Vanilla, Pumpkin Pie, Pumpkin Spice, & Chai

If that list didn't help remind your tastebuds of why fall is wonderful, I don't know what will. Also, here is the recipe for the Sausage and Rice Stuffed Pumpkins. It's a Taste of Home recipe that my mom has been making for years and I feel like it's become a tradition to me. If I don't get to make this at least once each fall, you'll end up hearing me talk about it way too much in non-pumpkin seasons.
Here's another recipe that's been great this year: Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Squares. I cannot tell you how excited I was to find a simple, quick, easy Martha Stewart recipe to make! It's perfect. Truly.

3. Jeans

In my last post there was mention of the fact that at the time I was wearing non-maternity pants and just holding them on with a Pinterest hack that included a ponytail and belly band. Well those days are over. OVER! I just can't anymore and frankly I don't need to because I WENT SHOPPING! My sister Rachel stayed with us for a weekend and she is a fab shopping partner. She is honest, to the point, but also super encouraging. Ladies, you all need shopping partners like this. I have a couple in my life and honestly I have banned myself from clothing shopping without them. Things just do not go well otherwise. Anyhoo, I had a giftcard to Kohls so we went there. First off, it took us like an hour to find a maternity section, even after asking an associate, but that's a whole another discussion on stores with bad layouts. Once we actually found the section good things happened.
Two words: Bootcut Jeans.
Now I have embraced the Skinny Jean thing. I really have. But my heart belongs to those good old bootcut jeans that have the capability of making you look good and feel good all at the same time. Skinny jeans just do not do that for me regularly. So anyways, all that to say I now have a pair of maternity jeggings (found at a consignment shop before Kohls) that look way better than they sound, a pair of maternity skinny jeans that don't cut off any blood circulation (another problem for me), and a most glorious pair of maternity bootcut jeans that I am in love with. Right now I can't say enough for the Oh Baby brand by Motherhood. They are winning in my book. (Just in case any of you cared to know any of that.)

4. Podcasts

Different stages of life bring forth different circumstances. There have been times where my life was so busy I felt like my brain had no time to even think and process things. But in this stay-at-home-mom season of life I have found that though I am physically busy a ton, my brain begins to feel like I'm forcing it down to an 18-month-old level and starts begging for adult engagement. On really awesome days that adult engagement comes in the form of actual people that I see and visit with, but some days you just have a lot at home that needs doing and on those days I have found podcasts to be the most helpful brain engagement ever. And nowadays smartphones make it so easy with all the different apps to get a hold of really great, quality podcasts. Here's a few I would really strongly recommend.

iTunesU
This app gives you access to hundreds of lectures and podcasts from schools and universities all over the world. I've listened to whole classes from Dallas Theological Seminary, Covenant Reformed Theological Seminary, Oxford, Yale, and some others I can't remember the names of at the moments. Some of those have been on Christian Counseling, History of Ancient Greece, Psychology, you name it they got it. There is so much goodness to be found here and it's FREE

TED Talks
I love TED talks. I listen to the podcast put out by NPR, so they edit the talks and put ones that fit together into a radio program with some extra interviews and such. These in particular really engage my brain because they are deep and intense enough that I learn new things every podcast, but not so intense that I can't focus while doing normal life things like cleaning, cooking, laundry, and comforting my kiddo. Also I love the diversity of speakers that they have.

The Big Boo Cast
So this one is just so much fun. I'm not gonna say it's super deep most the time, and I'm quite sure both Melanie Shankle and Sophie Hudson (the cast) would back me up on this. ;) But, this is the most enjoyable podcast I have ever happened upon. It's like I get to sit in on the conversation of two best friends and listen to them talk about life. Not to mention I love both of these authors so much and their books are just great.  The only problem is that I am from the midwest and if I listen to too many of these podcasts in one day I will begin speaking with a southern accent unconsciously and it has a tendency to drive the hubby a little bonkers.

5. Friendships

Alright this one is going to be short and sweet because I'm in the process of writing a post solely on this topic, but let me just say, find your tribe people! I know that phrase is almost cliche at this point but I love it because there is nothing like having that group of people around you who know you and love you and can speak to your life directly. I have been so blessed to have a few friends that I have grown up with and there is such a goodness when you can watch your friendship change from insecure teenagers to still a bit insecure adults, but who can really drive one another along in the Lord. I am so grateful for my friends I've had for 20 years and for my friends that I've had only a few months. I receive so much of God's goodness from these individuals. So find your tribe, people! And stick with 'em!

Alrighty, that's it for now.

TTYL

Kaila

No comments:

Post a Comment